When to move from a baby bed to a toddler bed? Tips for the transition!
Many parents don’t know when to move from a crib to a toddler bed as naturally as possible. That is, without the baby noticing one of the most important changes in his growth. In this article, we’ve put together some tips for this crucial stage. It’s precisely because it’s so special that we want to help you make sure everything goes smoothly.
When is it best to move from a crib to a toddler bed?
Observing children is essential to making decisions that affect them directly. This is one of those times when you need to pay special attention to the little things. Often, it is the baby himself who will send you signals that he is ready. For example, if he tries to climb and jump out of the crib, that’s one way of sensing that it’s time to change.
The truth is, there isn’t a lot of research on the subject, but a recent study conducted at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and published in Sleep Medicine points to the exact time to switch from crib to bed: at age 3. It also explains that this results in fewer nighttime awakenings.
On the way to sleeping in a new bed!
When the most anticipated night arrives, you can apply these tips to make everything more comfortable and natural.
- First, share the new stage you are about to experience together. It’s important that your child is involved and can give you feedback. A negative attitude may be another sign that you need to wait a little longer.
- Grab one of his favorite stuffed animals and take him to bed with you. This will make him feel more secure. We also recommend frequent visits, especially the first few nights.
- avoid making the change coincide with the arrival of a sibling at home, as this may cause jealousy.
- You can start with a nap in his "big bed. If the sensations are good, then he will be ready for the nighttime routine.
- If your child is at a time when other important changes are taking place, such as potty training or a new daycare, it’s a good idea to postpone this transition so as not to create more anxiety.
From crib to bed
As you can see, many factors influence this important change. Wait for the right time, and in the meantime, you can continue to look for the best bed for your child. The sooner you start gathering information and comparing options, the easier your choice will be.
The Calvi bed is an evolutionary bed, ideal for following your child’s growth. For the first few months, it is used as a version of a crib, then the bars (which are 4.5 cm apart) can be removed. In other words, it’s a way to accompany the child little by little. What’s more:
- Its Scandinavian style never goes out of style and you can choose from three colors.
- It is made of "eco-generation" MDF and PEFC certified wood, which makes it healthier for babies and the environment.
Another ally for these months is a fall barrier, a wooden barrier that allows your child to sleep safely in their "adult bed". It’s easy to use and helps prevent falls during the first weeks or months. Since it is simply installed between the mattress and the box spring without the need for screws, it does not damage the bed.
Why is the transition from crib to bed easier than it seems?
Although the study mentioned above recommends switching at age 3, if you think your baby is ready before then, go ahead. In reality, it’s the baby’s own development that will determine this decision. And the same is true if it’s a little delayed. Don’t rush and try to respect your child’s rhythm no matter what.
As in many other areas, seeking expert advice can also help, but above all, common sense and instinct will guide you in this important step. Of course, if you are looking for inspiration, don’t forget that you can count on us.